Captains are key to the establishment of ethics in kickball. Their concept of ethics and their attitude directly affects the behavior of players on their team. Captains are, therefore, expected to pay particular care to the moral aspect of their conduct.
Captains must be aware that almost all their decisions and choices of actions, as well as strategic targets, have ethical implications. It is natural that winning may constitute a basic concern for Captains. This code is not intended to conflict with that. However, the code calls for Captains to disassociate themselves from a “win-at-all-costs” attitude.
Increased responsibility is requested from Captains involved in leading their teams. The health, safety, and welfare are a first priority before the achievement or the reputation of the Captain or team.
- Serve as a positive role model for the team and work to promote the league’s mission as an inclusive, low-cost, high fun kickball league that supports the local community through philanthropy.
- Respect the rights, dignity, and worth of each and every person.
- Place the well-being and safety of each player above all other considerations.
- Adhere and ensure that all players are adhering to all League policies and guidelines.
- Ensure that all players are never discouraged from playing.
- Develop an appropriate working relationship with each player based on mutual trust and respect.
- Do not exert undue influence to obtain personal benefit or reward.
- Give priority to the interests of the team over individual interests.
- Clarify with players exactly what is expected of them and also what they are entitled to expect from their Captain.
- Encourage and guide players to accept responsibility for their own behavior and performance.
- Encourage and support players to foster an inclusive and unified team.
- Engage with players in well-being conversations to promote a supportive culture of well-being within the community.
- Share knowledge and experience when invited to do so, considering the interest of the individual that has requested this rather than personal interests.
- Cooperate fully with Officers, other Captains, League volunteers, and other League-affiliated individuals in the best interests of the League, team, and players.